Yesterday, I spent most of the day in an amateur radio class hosted by the Rio Rancho Seventh Day Adventist church. I was not expecting that to happen, but it did. As it turns out, several folks I know were leading a class at the church for the Pathfinders; some of the teachers didn’t know I knew amateur radio and some of them weren’t from the church and didn’t know I attended this church.
However, I did start my day out with a 4 mile run, and, while the time was awful, it felt good to get back out there again and run. It had been three weeks since my last run.
In the evening, I cooked, cleaned and shopped. I changed the cat boxes, added salt to the water softener, and played with my weather station to try to get it working.
Yesterday, I started out my morning with a five mile run. My time was not fantastic, but it did feel good to go running again. It had been almost a month since my last run, due to my travels and work schedule.
When I returned from running, I weeded the gardens for two hours. I did so without a shirt, so my back is now nice and red. I can’t wait to strap on my backpack this morning, as I’m sure that will feel great. While I was out there, I replaced the batteries in the weather station, as the transmitter was having trouble reaching the receiver inside the house.
In the evening, I did some cooking and cleaning. I made some delicious tuna steaks, seared and coated with pepper and Old Bay.
I also applied for a handful of jobs on UpWork, so we’ll see how that goes. Some of them were really neat! I also updated my amateur radio logbooks and sent a few QSL cards.
Yesterday, I started the day by running eight miles. It is the longest run I have ever taken.
After my run, I did some shopping and then some cooking in preparation for our road trip over the next two weeks. I cooked three stir fries (15 meals).
I have been messing with my weather station a lot over the past few days. For whatever reason, the transmitter is not able to get a signal into the house like it used to. I changed the batteries, and still no luck. I found that moving the receiver closer to the transmitter helped, so I may mount the receiver closer. It’s annoying though, because it used to work just fine.
Yesterday I took the day off from New Mexico Tech. Instead I attended the State Championship play-off basketball game. Magdalena played hard but ended up losing by 3 points.
I also went for a run in the morning. I only went 2.6 miles, but it was the first time I had gone for in a long time. in the evening Joey and I took the dog to the dog park.
I also worked around the house and around the garden. I did a quick repair to the weather station and removed the old garden hoses to see which ones work. I also sold a big pile of laundry at it been building up for several days.
In the evening I worked on a couple projects and fell asleep in my chair.
Yesterday, I spent the morning and early afternoon tutoring at Magdalena. The kids were still on a sugar high, but things were a little calmer, and I think we all had a good day.
In the afternoon, I attended our department meeting, which included a meeting with the Vice President of the university. It was nice to meet him.
In the evening, I commuted home with little drama or incident.
When I arrived at home, I worked on my weather station some more, as it had crashed during the day. I had to restart the console, and then the software. Restarting the console is a pain, as I have to reset the time, units, alarms, etc. I think it is up and running now, however.
Yesterday, I tutored in Magdalena in the morning. On Tuesdays, I get to tutor the sophomore class in AVID, though it is the only day where that is possible with my schedule.
In the afternoon, I taught my Measurement, Instrumentation and Process Control class. This week’s lesson was about digital logic, and included truth tables and conversion to and from binary. There was also a lab where the students had to build NAND, NOT and AND logic gates.
In the evening, I took the buses and trains back to Rio Rancho. My weather station had sounded an alarm while I was gone, and had been subsequently unplugged. I spent part of the night reprogramming it and getting it back on the internet.
Yesterday, I spent the day doing chores around the house and finishing up some grocery shopping. I had wanted to go for a run, but the weather was a cold, rainy mess.
Instead, I started out by going to Firestone to give the Crown Vic a once-over and an oil change. While it was in the shop, I walked around the nearby shopping centers and reported jobs to JobSeeker, making several dollars on an Amazon.com gift card.
After that, I did my grocery shopping. I returned home, cleaned the cat box, cooked a few things, and played around with my weather station.
My weather station had been giving erroneous values for quite some time. As it turns out, when the batteries died, the calibration constants were lost. A hard reset fixed this.
While I was playing with this weather station, I remembered that I had acquired another one at a thrift store a few years ago. It isn’t quite as nice (no direct pressure readout or way to measure rainfall or wind direction), but I also managed to get it running. I have not yet mounted this one outdoors, however, as I do not have the waterproof housing for it.