Yesterday, I spent the morning working at NMT. I spent some time working on the Dynamo project, but then shifted gears to do some work on the Unit Ops lab.
I did not see the bus, but one of my students was driving to Albuquerque, and wanted to talk guns, so I rode with him. We had a good time discussing our favorites and what is next on our wishlist.
In the late afternoon, I did a little grocery shopping and then worked in the garden. I weeded most of the large bed, and also put up the raised bed fences. I had too many long stretches last year, and they fell over. This year, I put some cross pieces in to brace them together. Hopefully, this will help.
In the evening, we watched History of the World Part I, after quoting it too many times in one evening.
I spent most of yesterday working in the Unit Ops Lab. I worked on my Upwork contract while I updated computers. Once I finished my Upwork bit, I also installed a new air hose on the batch reactor and finished packing the absorption column.
I still have quite a bit of testing to do in the Unit Ops lab, as some of this stuff is not working the way I would like it to. It takes almost nothing to flood the column, and the pressures are very unstable. It sprung two leaks, which I patched. The leaks are likely from the pressure surge.
In the evening, I went to the Boys and Girls Ranches for tutoring.
Yesterday, I finished up a few things at NMT before my trip to Illinois. I spent a bunch of time working on some new software for the batch reactor in the Unit Ops software, and, when I finish with it, it is going to be awesome. Once I am finished, I will copy what I can to the heat exchanger, the distillation column and the adsorption column as well, though they will need some additional customization.
Otherwise, it was a productive and uneventful day. In the evening, I sat outside with JoAnna until the wind kicked enough dust into my eyes and water glass to build a sand castle.
Yesterday, I commuted to Socorro for some meetings and some work in one of my labs.
First, I had a good meeting with a physics professor about a potential project in the near future. It will involve some more LabVIEW work, and, as long as we can work out compensation, it sounds good to me.
After that, I spent the majority of the day working in the Unit Operations Lab, reconnecting a few experiments after their dormant spring semester and summer. I also started developing new software in LabVIEW for these experiments. Yesterday, I built the template, the safety agreement (that must be acknowledged before the software will run), and layed out the general architecture. Today, I will finish writing the header file-writing routine, and connect the first device (batch reactor) to get the data acquision part running.
In the evening, I commuted back to Rio Rancho and watched the nearby thunderstorms with JoAnna until it began to rain.
Yesterday, I spent the morning and afternoon cleaning up the Unit Operations Lab. I have made some great progress in there, and the lab is going to be in great shape this semester. I disposed of a truck load of old and non-functional computer equipment, and then moved several large pieces of equipment that are not in use over to storage, rather than letting them continue to take up space in Unit Ops. I moved the heat exchanger against the wall, which frees up a lot of space, and makes the plumbing and wiring a lot easier. I cleaned off most of the lab benches, and cleaned all of the glassware.
It was also my first day of summer semester at Mississippi State. I posted both of my intro paragraphs (one for each course) and added the assignment due dates to my Google Calendar.
In the evening, I had dinner with my brother and his family and watched an episode or two of House.
Yesterday, I took the midterm exam for my Tropical Meteorology class. I felt pretty confident when I had finished.
I tutored in the morning. It was another day with a substitute teacher, so very little lesson plan was actually implemented. I did spend some time working on Physics homework with several of the students, though, and that was worth my time.
In the afternoon, I attended a department meeting and then went to monitor the Unit Operations lab. I do have a lot of fun with that lab, even though there is a lot of “hurry up and wait” that takes place.
I will be attending a conference with many of the students in the Unit Operations lab in a few weeks, and I am looking forward to it.
In the evening, I commuted back to Albuqueque on the buses and trains. I arrived at the Northwest Transit Center and then walked over to IHOP until I could get a ride back to the house, as I did not leave a car at the transit center, and JoAnna was at a Landmark Seminar in Santa Fe. I managed to lay out most of the groundwork for my NaNoWriMo novel next month.
Overall, it was a good day. Thank you for reading this post.
Yesterday, I ran around like a crazy person, trying to get things done. I rode the bus/train/shuttle to Socorro, and then drove the Malibu over to Magdalena. I tutored several classes and then came back to NMT.
At NMT, I started the process of renewing the ChemCAD licenses (which I then finished in the evening).
Unit Operations Lab was a disaster. It seemed like nothing was going well; the pH probes weren’t working, other things were not going as planned, etc. I finished cleaning up (somewhat) after lab, only to find that I’d missed the bus. I panicked a bit, but I guess it all worked out.
I ended up driving the Malibu home, bringing a load of stuff from the storage unit with me.