10/17/17: Daily Post

Yesterday was a busy, but productive day again.  The day was divided between responsibilities at NMT and Magdalena.

I started out the day working on a few things around the office before driving into Magdalena and tutoring several classes there.  I actually got in a little early to make up for a few missing hours last week.

In the afternoon, I taught two sections of Instrumentation Lab, back to back.  I introduced LabVIEW in this week’s sections.  I do need to develop a new project for them, and so I spent the evening working on that development.  This year’s class is twice as big (for some reason- our enrollment hasn’t really changed), so I need to design something for use with the equipment I have available.

I had dinner at my brother’s house at a reasonable hour instead of my normal late night, and then I went to bed.

Thank you for reading my post.


10/9/17: Daily Post

Yesterday, I drove to NMT and worked there for the day.  It was Columbus Day, so there were no shuttles (hence driving to NMT), and no classes at Magdalena.

First, I worked on the Cavendish experiment in the physics department.  I am having trouble getting LabVIEW to see the Omega DAQ device.  So far, I’ve tried installing the drivers and NI VISA, but no dice yet.

In the afternoon, I helped with the Unit Operations lab, and then started grading.  I had quite a bit of work to do, catching up on the grading, but that is almost complete.  I will have to post midterm grades soon.

In the evening, I shot one round of targets at air rifle practice, and then drove over to Sourdough Mine (a new restaurant in Socorro).  My shooting was not spectacular, but I logged it anyhow.

Sourdough Mine was alright.  I got the roast beef po’ boy, onion rings, and chips and salsa.  It was nothing special, but it was good.

At some point, I was too tired to work and fell asleep in my office.

Thank you for reading my post.

9/1/17: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the day in Socorro getting things knocked off my to-do list.  I started out the morning by meeting with the Physics department and I began to set up their computers for LabVIEW.  I installed LabVIEW on one computer and got through all of the Windows updates on a second.

After that, I did some work cleaning up the Unit Operations Lab.  I did my monthly inspection, and spent a little time cleaning and organizing glassware.

In the evening, JoAnna, Joey and I drove to Silver City in preparation for the Grant County Gem and Mineral show.  The drive was nice, and we had a great discussion about fiction writing.

Thank you for reading my post.


8/23/17: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the day in Socorro and Magdalena.  This was basically the first day back at NMT for the semester.  Officially, their school year began on Monday, but I was chasing the eclipse Monday and Tuesday instead.

I did some AVID tutoring in the morning, and then spent the afternoon in the Unit Operations Lab, getting this semester’s students ready to use the equipment in there.  I was able to deploy new LabVIEW code to the Batch Reactor.

I did a bit of shopping and then cooked a few dinners for the next few days.  I accidentally fell asleep on the kitchen table, waiting for a wok full of stir fry to cool before putting in the fridge.

Thank you for reading my post.


8/18/17: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the day in Socorro, working on a few smaller projects.  I started out the day meeting with the Physics Department about a LabVIEW project they are running.  We still have a few contract issues to resolve, but other than that, things are good, and the project looks do-able.

After that, I finished up a quick project with PRRC, and then went and worked with my ultrasound group.  I skipped out on one meeting I thought was going to happen, but other than that, I had a pretty good day.

In the evening, I sat outside in the pleasant weather and did a little reading.  I finished up three chapters in Desire of Ages, and one in Tell It To The World.

Thank you for reading my post.

8/17/16: Daily Post

Yesterday, I remained in Albuquerque for the day, as there was a National Instruments – Albuquerque LabVIEW Interest Network (ALVIN) meeting.  I used to attend these every month, but my attendance dwindled over the past few years.  Even so, it was nice to be back, and nice to attend again.

In the afternoon, I had the tires replaced on the Crown Vic.  I had around 40,000 miles on those 50,000 mile tires, and I received a notice that they had been recalled, and to bring them in for a free replacement.  When it was all said and done, I had put 40,000 miles on tires, and had them replaced with free 65,000 mile tires, so I really can’t complain at all!

I also drove over to Vitamin Cottage to join their 62nd anniversary.  Included in the event was a free candy bar, a free ice cream sundae, a $5 off coupon, and good deals on food we already buy.  I did my grocery shopping early.

Thank you for reading my post.

8/10/17: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the day in Socorro, finishing up the move from the storage space.  Finally, it is all done.  I have like two emails to send (which I will do sometime soon), and it is finished.

After I finished with the move, I worked on the absorption column software in the Unit Operations Lab.  I am about 1/2 done with it at this point, though there is still a lot to go.  Not to mention, I also have the distillation column and the heat exchanger software to write, safety equipment to order and chemicals to order.

In the afternoon, I ran into a first responder who was in town for explosives training.  He is a ham radio operator, so we had a good time talking radio.  He had emailed me and asked to tour the college club’s radio station, so we spent an hour or so chatting in the radio station.

I missed the bus, so I worked on a few more things before heading to my brother’s house for the evening.

Thank you for reading my post.