3/21/18: Daily Post

I’m struggling through getting everything done.  It’s going to be difficult, but I’ll see how close I can get to finishing everything.  I slept in my office Tuesday night for a few hours, and then got started on work early Wednesday morning.  I put in a few hours for the Dynamo project and a few more for the Upwork contract.  This was in addition to my regular Wednesday duties of teaching instrumentation class.

There was also a potential faculty presentation to attend, and, in the evening, there was a “last lecture” for Dr. Calvert.  His lecture was a lot of fun, and he’s done a lot of neat things.

In the late evening, I drove my truck back to Rio Rancho.  I had corned beef and cabbage with Joey and JoAnna.  She makes this every so often for St. Patrick’s Day, and I was glad this year was one of those years.

Thank you for reading my post.


3/14/18: Daily Post

Yesterday was quite busy.   I started out the day by tutoring in Magdalena.  The important part of that, however, was having a meeting concerning this year’s Magdalena storm chase.  It is a go!  The students have to fund raise $1000 and we have a few other small details to iron out, but we will be chasing.

In the afternoon, I met with the inventory folks at NMT, and then we ran around campus, tagging all of our equipment.  I thought it would take an hour, and it took nearly two.

After that, I rescheduled a meeting with the dynamo programmer, because the inventory meeting took too long.  After I finished with inventory, I had my first tutoring session with a new student.  I will help her write and edit a final report and presentation for a materials engineering class.  I think the meeting went well.

I commuted back to Rio Rancho, working on the dynamo flow charts along the way.

I also met with one of my students for an in-person tutoring session.  I have another one scheduled with him tonight as well.

Thank you for reading my post.

3/10/18: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the day in Deming.  I started out the day by attending the Deming Seventh Day Adventist church.  The sermon was on the state of the dead, as told by one of the fundamental beliefs of the church.  After church, they had potluck.

In the afternoon, I went and helped with the rock show.  The winds were so strong, part of the tent broke.  We called it a day, and disassembled the booth.  With the broken tent and the lack of customers, we decided to leave a day early.

In the evening, I did a little work for the dynamo before going to bed.

Thank you for reading my post.

3/7/18: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent a good part of the day in meetings. I started out the day meeting with the Physics department about the status of the Cavendish experiment. Soon after that, I went to a meeting with the Dynamo programmer and picked up the latest version of the software. I thought we had a department meeting, so I rushed over to that, only to find that it had been cancelled.

In the afternoon, I did some work in one of the chemical engineering labs and signed some paperwork as well. I took some pictures of serial numbers for inentory purposes, and chatted with a few students.

We also had a faculty candidate presentation, which dealt with electronic materials and quantum dots.

In the evening, JoAnna and I drove to Deming in preparation for the Deming Rock and Gem show.

Thank you for reading my post.

3/2/18: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the entire day working in the Unit Operations lab, rearranging things, updating computers and just generally improving the lab. I’m actually really excited about the way it will be when it is finished.

In the afternoon, I worked on a new Upwork Contract and confirmed some Sunday appointments for Varsity Tutors. I also had a meeting about the sodium dynamo. I need to be careful this year and make sure to set aside money for my taxes, as I have quite a few side contracts these days.

In the evening, Joey and I started season 4 of Justified. That show is awesome.

I called it an early evening, as I have been a bit tired the last few days. I think I may be fighting off sickness, so I tend to get more rest when I think I’m under attack.

Thank you for reading my post.

2/28/18: Daily Post

Yesterday was a moderately productive day. I started out the day by doing some work on the Cavendish project. I was supposed to have a meeting about it, but I was the only one who showed up.

After that meeting, I went to a meeting about the dynamo software. I got the latest copy of the software (and backed it up yesterday evening).

After that meeting, I had a department meeting where I got some specifics for traveling to a conference later this month. I’ll need to get everything set up for that adventure in the next few days.

I had a phone conference as well, and I will start working on another project for UpWork as soon as the contract hits.

In the afternoon, I gave lecture 6 for instrumentation lab. It is really weak, but I think the students had a good time working on the assignment.

In the evening, I watched the 1998 version of Moby Dick with Joey and JoAnna. It featured Patrick Stewart as Captain Ahab, and it was well done.

Thank you for reading my post.

2/27/18: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the day tutoring and working on various projects. The day started out by working in Magdalena, tutoring until the early afternoon.

I left Magdalena, picked up one of my students, and then we drove to St. Mary’s in Belen to tutor robotics. Normally, one of my students drive, but he was unable to do so this week, so I ended up returning to Socorro with the other student, missing the bus and staying the night in Socorro.

Once I returned to Socorro, I did some work on the dynamo project, the Cavendish project, and updating software in the computer lab. I also wrote another article for the school newspaper, Paydirt.

Overall, it was a productive day. I can’t believe it is March tomorrow.

Thank you for reading my post.