5/7/18: Daily Post

Yesterday went by too quickly.  I started out the day by commuting to Socorro to meet with the new HazMat person.

I then went to Magdalena to turn in the receipts and keys for the Magdalena storm chase.  The students were on a field trip, so I ended up on lunch duty for the middle school instead of tutoring.

In the afternoon, I worked in the Unit Operations lab.  The first thing I did was take apart the pump system on the absorption column.  The drain pump had failed a few semesters ago, and we were using gravity to drain the tank from the bottom.  I put a submersible sump pump in place instead, and that seems to work.  I also traced down a leak that has been giving me trouble.

After messing the column, I turned my attention to the batch reactor.  I was able to set up a hot water line for heating the reactor faster.  I leak tested it, and, after having a fitting pop and spray hot water everywhere, I was able to get it working.

In the evening, I had an online tutoring session for Varsity Tutors- my first in several weeks.

Thank you for reading my post.

 

Advertisements

3/29/18: Daily Post

I spent most of yesterday working in the Unit Ops Lab.  I worked on my Upwork contract while I updated computers.  Once I finished my Upwork bit, I also installed a new air hose on the batch reactor and finished packing the absorption column.

I still have quite a bit of testing to do in the Unit Ops lab, as some of this stuff is not working the way I would like it to.  It takes almost nothing to flood the column, and the pressures are very unstable.  It sprung two leaks, which I patched.  The leaks are likely from the pressure surge.

In the evening, I went to the Boys and Girls Ranches for tutoring.

Thank you for reading my post.

8/10/17: Daily Post

Yesterday, I spent the day in Socorro, finishing up the move from the storage space.  Finally, it is all done.  I have like two emails to send (which I will do sometime soon), and it is finished.

After I finished with the move, I worked on the absorption column software in the Unit Operations Lab.  I am about 1/2 done with it at this point, though there is still a lot to go.  Not to mention, I also have the distillation column and the heat exchanger software to write, safety equipment to order and chemicals to order.

In the afternoon, I ran into a first responder who was in town for explosives training.  He is a ham radio operator, so we had a good time talking radio.  He had emailed me and asked to tour the college club’s radio station, so we spent an hour or so chatting in the radio station.

I missed the bus, so I worked on a few more things before heading to my brother’s house for the evening.

Thank you for reading my post.

10/10/16: Daily Post

Yesterday, I had a frustrating day.  I had a good morning, and drove to Socorro for work.  Magdalena schools were closed, so I worked on the Unit Operations lab until class started at 2.

I then assisted with lab.  I was able to get a pH probe in the absorption column.  A few minutes into class, the heat exchanger computer stopped booting up.  I started rebuilding a second one, as I have been expecting the old heat exchanger computer to die for quite some time, though its shown no signs of failing.  It’s just old.  Anyway, it eventually started after several reboots and a full unplug reset.  I will continue building the second system, however.

After that, I managed to spill my Genesis grape blast tub on the floor, realized my FitBit strap is about broken, and missed the train home.  Instead, I gave up and stayed in Socorro.

Thank you for reading my post.

8/22/16: Daily Post

Yesterday was my first day at New Mexico Tech this semester.  I worked at Magdalena in the morning, but then went back to NMT to assist with Unit Operations lab.   Magdaena was doing testing, and so there isn’t much to say about my time there.

The lab went well, for the most part.  The exception was a pump on the absorption column, which stopped working and started smoking and leaking instead. Just another day in paradise.

The commute home was uneventful as well, though I did quite a bit of reading.

Thank you for reading my post.

8/3/16: Daily Post

Yesterday, I was in ultra-productive mode.  I finished out all of my ABET paperwork and got that mess turned in.  That’s been over my head for quite some time.  After that, I wrote a routine that writes data to file for the absorption column, and am almost finished another one for the batch reactor.

I managed to get all of my blog posts completed (I have a schedule of which ones are updated on which days), as well as added a new page to this blog from our visit to the Cleveland Museum of Art back in December.    It is under Excursions >> Museums.

I worked on my DropBox, cleaning out what I could.  I still have more workto do, but that was a good start.

In the evening, I hung out with the family and pets for a bit before calling it an early night.

Thank you for reading my post.